Information on the flexible funding and childcare for two, three- and four-year olds.

Hazelwood Nursery is open all year round and we do not offer term time only places.

At present all children in the term after their third birthday are universally entitled to 570 funded early education and childcare hours per year from September to the 31st August.

Some children subject to eligibility will receive the extended entitlement for working parents giving 1140 hours across the year which you have to apply for online at or ring the helpline 0300 123 4097. Once you have a current positive determination of eligibility from HMRC you will receive an 11-digit code to give to the nursery.

To qualify for the extended hours, each parent (or the sole parent in a single parent family) will need to earn, on average, the equivalent of 16 hours on the national minimum wage per week of £131.20 at April 2020, and no more than £100,000 per year. A family with an annual household income of £199,999 would be eligible if each parent earns just under £100,000. Self-employed parents and parents on zero-hours contracts will be eligible if they meet the average earnings threshold.

Eligibility will be checked by HMRC and will be based on actual income earned. There will be a short grace period so that if parents lose their jobs, they do not automatically lose their childcare entitlement.

  • You as Parents will be prompted by HMRC to reaffirm every 3 months which you must do to continue to receive the extended entitlement funding
  • The LEA will do 6 checks to review validity
  • The LEA will inform providers when a child has become ineligible following their checks and then you have a “Period of Grace” till the end of the term before moving from an extended to universal funded place. This allows enough time to make adjustments such as handing the 4 weeks’ notice for some or all of your child’s sessions or finding other employment to continue being entitled.
  • Where a parent becomes eligible for the additional hours mid-term funding cannot start until the nearest following term

The rules for the universal and extended flexible free funding are as follows:

  • Funding can only be claimed for a maximum of 10 hours per session
  • A maximum of two sites in a single day
  • You can only be eligible for the funding at the start of a term. Children joining a setting or amending sessions mid term will have to wait to receive funding until the start of the next term except in exceptional circumstances as outlined in the parental agreement.

When your child is eligible for the universal and/or the extended funding if you have notified the nursery, we will send you a written confirmation of how the funding will be applicable to you and how it will work in conjunction with your existing sessions or additional sessions if requested and available.

Parents/Carers will be given a parental agreement, which you will need to complete both sides and return by the notified date so we can process your funding. If you amend your sessions or use an additional provider you will be required to notify the nursery and complete a new form. If you wish to move from our setting you will be required to give 4 weeks’ notice.

The funded nursery education hours for two, three- and four-year olds do not include any meals and these will be charged accordingly at the rate set yearly and informed in advance.

If your child is only using funded hours then no deposit will be applicable and the nursery meals will be due on receipt of invoice at the beginning of every month.

There are a number of places available for two-year olds using the above universal guidance and who must meet one of the following criteria. You can apply once your child is 22 months old.

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • Tax Credits and you have an annual income under £16,190 before tax
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • The Working Tax Credit four-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit – if you and your partner are on a low income from work (this usually means a combined income of less than £15,400 a year after tax)
  • Children receiving Disability Living Allowance
  • Children with a current statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan
  • Support under Part V1 of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Children looked after by the local authority or left care through a special guardianship, adoption or residence order

If you feel your child could be eligible for two-year funding please discuss with the management and they will make inquiries on your behalf. Children considered eligible usually receive a letter with a code from the local authority.

Where necessary in line with our SEND policy we would utilise the SEN inclusion fund and Disability Access Fund to deliver effective support to a child.